Have you ever heard or been to the Hammacher Schlemmer website? It's a product site with the slogan "offering the best, the only, and unexpected for 164 years." Boy, do they ever.
The site is full of plenty of affordable and useful items, but it's its lust-worthy but exorbitantly expensive toys that make it fun to poke around. Specifically, in its "unexpected" section, which one might imagine as like a pricier version of the "beyond" section at Bed Bath and Beyond, a few dozen toys that you've probably never even conceived of are there for the taking. That is, if you're willing to pay the price.
There are a slew of items to choose from, but here are seven of our favorites.
- The Aquapod Suite: For $91,000, the world's only aquapod could be yours. Described as a "flying saucer" design that rests on the water with five feet submerged, the suite has AC, a desalination unit, mini-bar, king-size bed and more. It even has an "inflatable terrace" so you can fit all your friends for sunning. If you're worried about how you'll get this vessel around from one island to another, it can be towed by a boat.
- The Flying Hovercraft: A 130-hp twin-cylinder, liquid-cooled gasoline engine is perfect for those wanting to "hop over water- or land-based obstacles" on their travels. Going up to 70, miles per hour, the hovercraft has a 160-mile range and can support a pilot and passengers up to 600 total pounds. It costs $191,000.
- The Genuine PT Boat: Own a functioning slice of WWII history -- with all weapons present but deactivated -- with one of only 12 patrol torpedo boats left in the world. Special limitations apply with this $1 million purchase.
- The Oenophile's Personal Winery: You may never need to purchase another box of wine again. This $6,000 machine "vinifies" up to four cases of vino at a time. You won't even need a vineyard to make this happen. According to the posting, Napa Valley grapes will be crushed, frozen and sent to you.
- The Barbecue Dining Boat: BBQ in the round -- and on the water (literally) -- with this floating contraption that seats 10 adults. Making the perfect use of space, it stores all your sides and extra supplies under the seats. Given that you're right on the water, the fact that the grill is charcoal heated shouldn't be a problem. It will also only set you back $50,000.
- The Electric Skates: Are you ready to pony up $699.95 for this Christmas list topper? Kids won't even have to lift up their feet with these babies that go up to eight miles per hour. The ideal use for the skates, as said by Hammacher Schlemmer, is "travel across a school campus, to a local cafe, or while roaming a neighborhood festival."
- The 20 Foot Animatronic Triceratops: Who wouldn't want to bring Jurassic Park into their very own backyard? Believe it or not, this animatronic creature has facial recognition technology that tracks subject's movements to signal it to perform certain actions, such as sway its head or stomp its feat. The Triceratops not only looks realistic but has vocals of what the beast may have sounded like.
If you liked this list, check out The Blaze's top 10 picks of most expensive, outrageous and nerdy grill tools here.
This story has been updated to correct a photo.
(H/T: Daily Mail)