Should the First Lady get a paycheck? It's an interesting question.
The President was speaking to a group of supporters today -- mostly women -- in Denver and he appeared to float the idea. (He mentions it about :45 into this clip)
Some might argue that the First Lady does get compensated -- not with a salary, but with considerable perks that come with her husband's job.
- She virtually lives without cost (and in a pretty fancy place that she was allowed to redecorate without the budget constraints faced by most Americans).
- Her "weekend home" -- Camp David -- is certainly one that most of us would consider to be worth visiting almost every month.
- Michelle Obama has a liberal vacation allowance, with a private jet that she can and does use day and night.
- Her private security (Secret Service) keeps the First Lady safe at all times.
- The First Lady also has a personal staff numbering 24. (Hillary Clinton had 19, Laura Bush 18)
Does she really need a salary?
Take our Blaze Poll on the subject