A display in a Bed, Bath, and Beyond department store in the San Diego area burst into flames Tuesday as a bystander managed to capture most of it on his camera phone:
Authorities are looking into the cause of the fire.
"It was kinda just running up the wall and the sprinkler couldn't really keep up with it cause it was dense, all the material, it was all bedding material," said Richard Brocchini, Battalion Chief with the Chula Vista Fire Department.
The store suffered some serious water damage due to the building's sprinkler system and the efforts of the Chula Vista Fire Department.
"I was actually there... kinda makes me sound like a suspect, but I was there about 5 minutes prior to that and circled the store and was on the other side of the store when I heard everyone needed to evacuate," said customer Joe Larson.
The store’s many surveillance cameras are being reviewed by investigators, a Chula Vista deputy fire chief told NBC 7 News.
“Structural damage is estimated at $27,000 according to fire investigators. However, the damage to the content of the store may be significant because the smell of smoke lingers in bedding,” the report notes
EXIT QUESTION: Did it not occur to the person videotaping the fire to put the camera down and look for a fire extinguisher?
Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter
Featured image screen grab.