The U.S. Justice Department announced on Tuesday evening the charges filed against Ahmed Abu Khatallah, one of the suspected perpetrators of the deadly 2012 Benghazi terror attacks who was captured by U.S. forces over the weekend.
Khatallah will face charges for killing a person in the course of an attack on a federal facility involving the use of a firearm and dangerous weapon and attempting and conspiring to do the same, providing, attempting and conspiring to provide material support to terrorists resulting in death and Discharging, brandishing, using, carrying and possession of a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence.
“Khatallah will now face justice in an American courtroom," U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. for the District of Columbia said. "We remain committed to holding accountable all of those responsible for the murders of those brave U.S. citizens who were serving our country in Libya.”
The lead charge is a death-elgible offense, the DOJ said in a release.
“Our nation’s memory is long, and our reach is far,” Attorney General Eric Holder echoed. “The arrest of Ahmed Abu Khatallah represents a significant milestone in our efforts to ensure justice is served for the heinous and cowardly attack on the U.S. diplomatic facility in Benghazi.
Khatallah is thought to be currently en route to the U.S. to face the charges.
Earlier on Tuesday, President Barack Obama promised in a statement that Khattala will “face the full weight of the American justice system.”
Follow Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) on Twitter