UPDATE — 6:00 p.m. ET: Israel has struck suspected terror sites in Gaza:
BREAKING: Israeli military says it strikes sites in Gaza as sides agree to new temporary cease-fire.— The Associated Press (@AP) August 13, 2014
The Israeli military said Wednesday that multiple rockets had been fired at Israel, despite news that a temporary cease-fire had been extended for five more days.
"Gaza terrorists have breached the ceasefire & launched a rocket at Israel, hitting the Hof Ashkelon regional council," the IDF said via Twitter.
Gaza terrorists have breached the ceasefire & launched a rocket at Israel, hitting the Hof Ashkelon regional council. pic.twitter.com/YKyMv1Ncrg— IDF (@IDFSpokesperson) August 13, 2014
Later the Israeli military announced that another rocket was intercepted, while one more hit an open area.
Moments ago, 1 rocket was intercepted over Netivot & another hit an open area in the Sdot Negev region.— IDF (@IDFSpokesperson) August 13, 2014
Hamas has denied that its militants were responsible for the attacks, according to multiple reports.
Earlier, the head of the Palestinian delegation negotiating a truce with Israel said Hamas agreed to extend a cease-fire for another five days.
Azzam al-Ahmad said late Wednesday the cease-fire was meant to ensure a "positive atmosphere," while noting there had been "lots of progress" in the talks.
A Hamas official earlier said the truce had been extended for 72 hours.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Follow Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) on Twitter