House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) says he has evidence that the Obama administration is preparing to bring Ebola patients from West Africa to the United States for treatment, a policy change he opposes because of the increased risk it poses to U.S. health care workers.
Speaking on Fox News Monday night, Goodlatte said his office has seen "confidential information" from within the Obama administration that the plan is being considered.
"There's increasing evidence that they are making those plans," he said.
But Goodlatte is so far having trouble confirming this officially from Cabinet-level officials. Last week, he wrote to Secretary of State John Kerry and Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson to ask if either are planning on allowing Ebola patients into the United States.
Goodlatte asked for a reply by late last week, but when asked if he ever heard back, he told Fox News, ""No, we have not received any response from the administration."
Goodlatte said he opposes any plan to bring Ebola patients back to the U.S., and noted how the virus spread to two U.S. nurses after a single patient came back with an infection.
"If you are concerned about this problem spreading… we certainly shouldn't be bringing in the patients," he said.