Try BlazeTV for Free
Video

Ex-CIA Head: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if the U.S. Gets Attacked This Weekend

"I wouldn't be surprised if we're sitting here a week from today talking about an attack over the weekend in the United States."

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 02: Former Deputy CIA Director Michael Morell testifies before the House Select Intelligence Committee April 2, 2014 in Washington, DC. The committee heard testimony on the topic of 'The Benghazi Talking Points and Michael J. Morell's Role in Shaping the Administration's Narrative.' Win McNamee/Getty Images

The former acting head of the CIA said Monday he "wouldn't be surprised" if there's a terrorist attack in the United States over the Fourth of July weekend.

The FBI and Department of Homeland Security issued a bulletin Friday warning of heightened concerns over potential terrorist attacks during the holiday weekend. Former CIA Deputy Director Michael Morell told CBS' "This Morning" that while such warnings go out routinely, "there's nothing routine about this particular one to me."

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 02: Former Deputy CIA Director Michael Morell testifies before the House Select Intelligence Committee April 2, 2014 in Washington, DC. The committee heard testimony on the topic of 'The Benghazi Talking Points and Michael J. Morell's Role in Shaping the Administration's Narrative.' Win McNamee/Getty Images Former Deputy CIA Director Michael Morell testifies before the House Select Intelligence Committee, April 2, 2014 in Washington. (Win McNamee/Getty Images)

"I wouldn't be surprised if we're sitting here a week from today talking about an attack over the weekend in the United States," Morell said. "That's how serious this is."

Morell noted that there have been some 50 people arrested in the U.S. within the last year with some tie or allegiance to the Islamic State group, which has also issued a "call to arms" during Ramadan.

"There’s a lot of people out there who are seeing themselves as aligned with ISIS," Morell said. "Number two, you have this ISIS call to arms during Ramadan. We are right in the middle of Ramadan, call to arms, conduct attacks against our enemies, so I’m worried about this one.”

White House press secretary Josh Earnest said Monday that he is aware of recent Islamic State threats to attack, but said there are no credible threats on Fourth of July celebrations this weekend.

The federal advisory detailed for local authorities the potential threat posed by the Islamic State, USA Today reported.

ABC News reported that the bulletin said Independence Day could appear to extremists to defame the Prophet Muhammad and would "likely result in threats or plans to conduct violent extremist acts."

The bulletin also warned government and military officials to be cautious of their social media posts over the weekend.

Earlier this month, law enforcement in Boston said they thwarted a plot by an Islamic State sympathizer to behead a police officer and "go after" the "boys in blue."

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Try BlazeTV for Free
Sponsored content
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.