Media

CNN releases statement about Kathy Griffin's future at the network after photoshoot fiasco

CNN releases a statement after comedian Kathy Griffin holds up a depiction of President Donald Trump's severed head. Questions were raised after the incident about whether Griffin would return this year as a co-host for the network's New Year's Eve coverage with CNN anchor Anderson Cooper. (Image source: YouTube)

A CNN spokesperson said Tuesday that it is "evaluating" comedian Kathy Griffin's future at the network after she posed in a gory photo shoot that included a depiction of President Donald Trump's severed head.

Griffin has appeared with CNN anchor Anderson Cooper for the channel's New Year's Eve coverage every year since 2007, during which she almost always manages to make headlines the morning after with what many may categorize as crude or inappropriate remarks, often having to do with sex.

Griffin apologized for the shoot hours after TMZ first released the footage. Griffin also asked the photographer to take down the photos, despite the fact that the images had already spread across the internet.

In a separate video message posted on social media, Griffin admitted she was wrong and apologized.

"I am sorry. I went too far. I was wrong...I sincerely apologize. I am just now seeing the reaction of these images. I’m a comic, I cross the line — I move the line, then I cross it; I went way too far,” Griffin said. But by the then, the damage had already been done.

CNN, after a number of its own journalists had reported on the shoot all evening, released a statement, condemning the photo shoot.

“We found what she did disgusting and offensive. We are pleased to see she has apologized and asked that the photos be taken down," a CNN spokesperson told TheBlaze in an emailed statement.

But the cable network didn't say whether Griffin would return this year for its New Year's Eve broadcast.

"We are evaluating our New Year’s Eve coverage and have made no decisions at this point," the statement added.

Cooper, for his part, made clear that he also condemned the act. In a tweet from his personal Twitter account, Cooper called it "disgusting."

"For the record, I am appalled by the photo shoot Kathy Griffin took part in. It is clearly disgusting and completely inappropriate," Cooper tweeted.

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Try BlazeTV for Free
Sponsored content
Newsletter

Get the news that matters most delivered to your inbox.