ESPN host Michelle Beadle said on air that "white men" need to "shut up and listen for five minutes" — and after first noting she doesn't want to "stereotype."
What went down?
- Beadle's comments came during a "SportsNation" discussion Thursday, the Spun reported.
- It focused on Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton's sexist remark to a female reporter, in which he said “it’s funny to see a female talk about routes ..."
- Beadle said "a lot of people saw zero wrong with" Newton's remarks, as in "Oh, get over it. It's not that big a deal."
- She then launched into a rant against white men: “Not to stereotype, but I hear a lot from white men on these topics. You guys have a lot to say how black people should feel, about how women should feel. I gotta be honest with you guys: Shut up and listen for five minutes. Like, you will never know what I’ve been through, what he’s been through ... Just listen. God forbid, you learn something.”
- Beadle was sitting with LZ Granderson and Marcellus Wiley during her comments:
Image source: YouTube screenshot
Here's a clip:
What did Beadle have to say later?
After Beadle received backlash on social media over her comments, she simply doubled down. Here's a sampling of what she posted on Twitter:
I see my words struck a chord. A lot of comments from the very people I wish would listen. But I get it. Better to… https://t.co/zO7l28Q7A9— Michelle Beadle (@Michelle Beadle)1507390179.0
But I will say this, boys. Thank you. Thank you for your predictability. And your willingness to take talking points from your overlord. 🙂— Michelle Beadle (@Michelle Beadle)1507390576.0
It’s silly. The sad place we’re in. If you’re not a close-minded pig, then guess what? Not talking to you. Methin… https://t.co/c9kJ99vuTj— Michelle Beadle (@Michelle Beadle)1507390669.0
Rodrique later apologized for her tweets, and Newton apologized for his remarks.