Jay Middle School in Jay, Oklahoma, is under fire from some parents who say the school took a sex education class way too far.
Parent Mandy Callihan posted on Facebook that her 12-year-old daughter came to her in tears earlier this month after she was too embarrassed to complete her sex education assignment. Callihan said she understood why as soon as she read the worksheet.
— ShannonJoy (@ShannonJoyRadio) October 19, 2017
“I was appalled at what someone in our school system had deemed appropriate to talk to my child about. My TWELVE year old child (who still colors in coloring books). In a room where boys and girls are combined. With male instructors (or female, depending on the time of day, I guess) who are not teachers (or Nurses) in our school system,” Callihan wrote, infuriated that she was not made aware of the school’s plans to teach the students about masturbation and sex.
“They most certainly did NOT say, ‘Hey moms and dads we’re gonna be teaching your very young sons and daughters about masturbating by themselves (and mutual masturbation with partners), spend some time talking about oral sex, and anal sex,'” she said.
And it gets worse.
Callihan said one of the male teachers allegedly told the male students in front of the rest of the class, “‘when [you] are going down on a girl, and it looks like cauliflower, you need to just get up out of there.'”
She contacted the school district in search of a reasonable answer.
What was the school district’s response?
“The teacher said it was board approved. The school counselor said it was board approved. The school nurse said it was board approved. The Principal said ‘HE approved it and there was nothing wrong with it,'” Callihan wrote.
According to Callihan, the school district claimed they sent home a pamphlet — not requiring a parental signature — but Callihan said she never saw one.
“We never saw a pamphlet. … so we didn’t have the opportunity to get her out of the class before it started. Signatures for permission were NOT required, but you could opt out (depending on who you talk too, because we got different answers on the permission part),” Callihan said.
Callihan and her husband contacted the superintendent, who she said didn’t call her back until the following week, once the local news station had picked up the story.
“[He said] the class has been pulled for now and is being investigated, but other than that he really didn’t know what we wanted from him,” Callihan told TheBlaze.
“Even more, we were told that while the program was discontinued this school year, it ‘must continue to be taught in the coming years, as per state requirements.’ We were also told that ‘separating genders will no longer take place due to transgender laws,'” she added.
Callihan also told TheBlaze that her 12-year-old received several notes from her classmates thanking her for speaking up and “getting that class stopped.”
Jay School District did not return a request for comment from TheBlaze.