The suspect, charged in the worst terror attack on New York City since 9/11, asked to hang an Islamic State flag in his hospital room, according to a criminal complaint filed in a Manhattan federal court.
Sayfullo Saipov “requested to display ISIS’s flag in his hospital room and stated that he felt good about what he had done,” the complaint filed by FBI special agent Amber Tyree stated.
New details surrounding the long-planned Halloween attack emerged Wednesday from court documents and bedside interviews with the suspect, USA Today reported.
The attack left eight people dead and at least 12 injured Tuesday when authorities say Saipov plowed a rented Home Depot truck down a bike path along the Hudson River, striking pedestrians and bicyclists. The attack came to an end when Saipov, 29, was shot by police after crashing the truck into a school bus.
Six people died at the scene and two others died after being transported to the hospital. Among the 12 injured, four remain in critical condition, according to BBC News.
"He appears to have followed almost exactly to a T the instruction that ISIS has put out on social media on how to carry out some attack," John Miller, New York Police deputy commissioner said during a news conference. "It appears that he has been planning it for a number of weeks," USA Today reported.
President Donald Trump tweeted early Wednesday that Saipov entered the U.S. from Uzbekistan in 2010 under the Diversity Visa Program, a lottery that grants up to 50,000 visas to people from countries with low rates of immigration to the U.S.
Saipov is charged with two counts of terrorism: a charge of providing material support to a terrorist organization and a charge of violence and destruction of a motor vehicle with willful disregard for human life.
What else has been discovered about the suspect and planned attack?
• Saipov decided two months ago on using a truck for the attack "to inflict maximum damage against civilians," according to the complaint posted on CNN.
• The suspect had intentions to continue his attack at the Brooklyn Bridge.
• He had considered displaying Islamic State flags on the truck but chose not to because he didn't want to draw attention to himself.
• Among the items police found in a black bag inside the suspect's rented truck were two cellphones, a wallet with a Florida driver's license in it and three knives. A stun gun was also found on the truck's floor.
• A document with Arabic and English text was found about 10 feet from the driver's side door after the suspect exited the truck.
• The writings on the found document said, "No God but God and Muhammad is his prophet" and "Islamic Supplication. It will endure."
• Saipov rented the truck from a Home Depot in New Jersey at 2:06 p.m. for a duration of 75 minutes.
• He purposely chose Halloween because he believed more people would be in the streets.
• The suspect was inspired by 90 graphic videos found on his phone, including one, in particular, which "IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi questioned what Muslims in the U.S. and elsewhere are doing to avenge the killing of Muslims in Iraq."
Late Wednesday, Trump tweeted that the alleged terrorist should get the death penalty.
NYC terrorist was happy as he asked to hang ISIS flag in his hospital room. He killed 8 people, badly injured 12. SHOULD GET DEATH PENALTY!— Donald J. Trump (@Donald J. Trump)1509594198.0