A couple of crooks picked out a silver Infinity to carjack Sunday in New Orleans — but how could they have known that one of the men in the targeted car is a concealed carry permit holder?
What went down?
- A man that WVUE-TV identified only as Benny told the station he and a friend pulled up to Benny’s home when gunmen wearing ski masks ambushed them.
- “They probably figured this time of morning, we are going to just stake somebody out,” Benny told the station.
- Benny told WVUE as he exited the car — his friend had been driving it — “some guy came from nowhere and said, ‘Hey man, I want that car.’”
- Benny’s friend handed over the keys and ran toward a nearby police station while the gunmen sped off in the vehicle, the station said.
- Then a second gunman came at Benny from the bushes, WVUE reported.
- “He came just like that, and he said, ‘Don’t you move,’” Benny recounted to the station.
Did Benny obey the carjacker’s command?
- Heck, no. Benny told WVUE that he has a concealed carry permit — and didn’t hesitate to make use of it, pulling out his own gun.
- “I just pulled my coat out,” he recalled to the station, “and I just started boom, boom, boom.”
- Benny told WVUE he fired four shots but missed his attacker.
Did Benny have more tricks up his sleeve?
- Indeed he did, telling the station he hit the gun out of the second carjacker’s hand.
- “Some kind of way we both tripped, and we fell on the ground like this here,” Benny recalled to WVUE. “I had my right hand here. I did like this, boom! He stood up, ‘Oh Lord, Jesus,’ and he broke out and ran.”
- Benny told the station he shot his attacker in the stomach.
- “So I ran inside, and I went and got some more bullets,” Benny noted to WVUE, adding that the carjacker’s gun was still on the ground.
- And when Benny came back outside, he told the station that police arrived on the scene.
What happened to the suspects?
- About 30 minutes after the incident, 17-year-old Andrew Spikes showed up at a hospital with a gunshot wound to his stomach, WVUE reported. Spikes was arrested and booked on two counts of armed robbery, the station added.
- Another suspect, Jonah Marco, drove Spikes to the hospital, police told the station, adding that Marco also drove Spikes and the other gunman to carrying out the carjacking. Marco is booked with accessory after the fact, WVUE reported.
- The gunman, who carjacked the vehicle, is still at large, the station added.
How did Benny sum up the ordeal?
- “He had the ups on me,” Benny told WVUE. “I could have said, ‘OK, man.’ I could have just dropped my gun. It don’t make no sense. A lot of people say, ‘Well, he had the ups on me, and I dropped my gun.’ I didn’t want to go like that, so, ya know, I’m like a Viking. I’m hard to go down. I came up hard.”
Here’s the video report: