Authorities named a second person of interest in the days after Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock took the lives of over 50 concertgoers and injured hundreds more in an October 1 mass shooting. It is not clear whether the man remains a person of interest or what his suspected involvement in the shooting may have been.
What are the details?
The Las Vegas Review-Journal on Tuesday published information from newly unsealed court documents that said in addition to Paddock's girlfriend, Marilou Danley, another man was named as a person of interest in the massacre.
According to the Review-Journal, Douglas Haig was that person of interest and may have conspired with Paddock in the deadly attack.
"Until the investigation can rule otherwise, Marilou Danley and Douglas Haig have become persons of interest who may have conspired with Stephen Paddock to commit Murder with a Deadly Weapon," a document from the Metropolitan Police Department read, according to the Review-Journal.
It is not clear whether Haig remains a person of interest to police or what his suspected involvement may have been. The Review-Journal was not able to contact Haig for comment, and Las Vegas police would not comment on the grounds that this was now a federal investigation. Federal authorities have steadfastly refused comment on the investigation for months.
Law enforcement officials earlier in January revealed that they do not plan to seek charges against Danley.
The court documents were unsealed earlier in January in response to a lawsuit filed by CNN and several other media outlets who demanded the documents be made public.
Is this the first we've heard of another person of interest?
It's not — but it is the first time we've heard a name.
During a Jan. 20 news conference, Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo claimed that the FBI has an open investigation into an unnamed person of interest.
Las Vegas law enforcement officials earlier in January said that law enforcement is looking into new charges of additional suspects.
However, during the Jan. 20 news conference, Lombardo was adamant that Paddock was the only shooter.
"I know and believe there was only one suspect who killed 58 people and injured hundreds more," Lombardo said. "All the evidence recovered in this case supports that theory. There was one shooter in the 1 October massacre. There was only one person responsible, and that was Stephen Paddock."