© 2024 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Army vet takes down shooter after high school football game. Police say he 'saved many lives.
A U.S. Army veteran stops a potential gun-related tragedy from occurring after a high school football game Friday night in Brownsville, Tennessee. (Image source: YouTube screenshot)

Army vet takes down shooter after high school football game. Police say he 'saved many lives.

After Army veteran Patrick Shields attended his local high school's homecoming football game in Brownsville, Tennessee, Friday night, he became the hero of the evening by stopping a shooter, USA Today reported.

What are the details?

Shields was watching his son play at Haywood High School's homecoming game. After the game ended, Shields and family were cleaning up when he heard concerning noises across the street.

"My brother and I were cleaning up, and we heard a bunch of kids hollering and yelling across the street at Walgreen's, but we didn't know what was going on," Shields said, according to the Jackson Sun.

"Then," he said, "we heard sounds like fireworks ... like 'pow, pow, pow.' And I looked over there and saw the flame coming out of a pistol, and a bunch of kids were running toward us.

"It looked like [the suspect] was aiming for one person, but I don’t know who," Shields explained. "[Kids] were all running toward us, but he wasn’t shooting in our direction."

Shields, a 22-year U.S. Army veteran, and current member of the U.S. National Guard, jumped into action when he saw a suspect with a pistol in hand.

"I grabbed him by the arm that was holding the gun and pulled him toward me and threw him up against the fence," Shields said. "Then I grabbed him by the back of the shirt and got him on the ground."

Shields was able to detain the suspect until police arrived.

What did the police chief say?

Chief Barry Diebold of the Brownsville Police Department said that Shields was instrumental in preventing a possible tragic scene.

"Mr. Shields' quick thinking saved many lives," Diebold said.

Two people were injured in the shooting. Cameshia Murphy was shot in the foot, and Demetrius Harper was shot twice in the back. Both were treated at area hospitals and have since been discharged. Police identified the suspect as a 16-year-old male.

Police are charging the suspect with criminal attempt to commit first-degree murder, aggravated assault, and reckless endangerment. The suspect is being held in a juvenile detention center.

Want to leave a tip?

We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Want to join the conversation?
Already a subscriber?