President Donald Trump could face several "ruthless" new investigations if Democrats take over the House in the upcoming election and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi becomes the Speaker, according Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.).
What is the prediction?
“...Our caucus led by Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi — will need to ruthlessly prioritize the most important matters first,” Schiff, the top Democrat on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, wrote in a Washington Post op-ed.
“...We must do what the supine Republican Congress has failed to do over the past two years: restore Congress as an equal branch and check the ambition of an imperial and erratic president,” Schiff wrote in the piece, which was published Friday.
Schiff, a longtime Trump critic, listed the investigations he believes will happen if Democrats take over the House.
His list includes:
- Whether Russians have “financial leverage” over the president are laundering money through Trump family-owned businesses.
- A reassessment of investigations by the Intelligence Committee, Senate and special counsel Robert S. Mueller III, followed by a determination of what else “needs a full accounting.”
- Issues raised by Oversight Committee ranking Democrat Elijah E. Cummings (Md.) including “the high cost of prescription drug prices, and corruption issues, including whether Trump is profiting off the presidency.”
- Demands by Jerrold Nadler (N.Y.) the Judiciary Committee ranking Democrat, for “oversight of potential abuse of the pardon power, attacks on the rule of law, and campaign finance violations.”
- Democrats on the Veterans’ Affairs Committee who want to ensure veterans are getting the best care and “decisions are being made by the professionals, not Trump’s un-elected cronies.”
Impeachment proceedings are another possibility.
Top Democrats have urged members to hold off on calling for impeachment for the moment because they are worried it could lead more Republicans to the polls. Still, Democrats are pushing for impeachment and it would likely come up if Democrats gain the majority.