© 2024 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Dallas armed robbery victim says he waited more than 2 hours for police response after calling 911 — 8 times
Image source: KTVT-TV video screenshot

Dallas armed robbery victim says he waited more than 2 hours for police response after calling 911 — 8 times

A Dallas armed robbery victim is speaking out about his experience with local police response time, and he isn't happy about it, according to KTVT-TV.

What are the details?

An unidentified Dallas man was the victim of a recent robbery, and told KTVT that he — as well as some of his neighbors — called police after the incident no less than eight times, and authorities still took two hours to attend to the man's report.

The victim said that the incident occurred earlier in December and had terrified him.

"[The armed suspects] had me on the ground — gun against my head ... I did my best not to look at their faces," he admitted. "I didn't care. I wanted them to get whatever they needed out of me."

The victim said that the thugs methodically removed his credit cards and debit cards and demanded pin access to them while placing him at gunpoint.

"They pulled each credit card and ATM out of my wallet, put it in front of my face, and asked me for the pin and said, 'If you give me the wrong pin, you're dead; we'll shoot you.'"

The man said that a neighbor happened to see what was happening and called police.

They never came.

After the incident, the victim and other neighbors called 911 after the attack at least seven more times.

"I went to a few other neighbors, let them know what happened," he said. "They came over, they all called from their personal phones."

The unidentified victim said that he and his neighbors ended up waiting for about 2 1/2 hours before police officers showed up.

"I kept saying, 'Are you kidding me? This is ridiculous; this could be a really bad deal!'" he explained. "These guys said they're coming back to get us."

What did authorities say?

Authorities said that the "root of the problem was 911," and not human error.

The victim met with his city council member and Dallas Police Chief U. Renee Hall.

"She said the root of the problem was 911, and again she apologized immensely," he explained. "She just could not apologize enough, and I'm like, 'I'm glad you're sorry, but what are we going to do about fixing this problem?'"

The Dallas Police sent KTVT the following statement on the incident:

The Dallas Police Department received a complaint regarding an unacceptable response time to a December 2nd robbery call. An internal investigation into the incident confirmed that this call should have been updated and expedited but was not due to human error. DPD takes response times very seriously and regrets that our response to this call was not handled in accordance with the standard to which we hold ourselves accountable. The department has taken initial steps in furthering training for dispatchers and will be deploying the necessary supervision to improve oversight and accountability.

Want to leave a tip?

We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Want to join the conversation?
Already a subscriber?