At least 12 elementary school students drank floor sealant this week after servers at a childcare program handed out milk-colored floor sealant instead, CNN has reported.
What are the details?
The incident took place on Tuesday during a summer care program taking place at Sitʼ Eeti Shaanáx̱-Glacier Valley Elementary School in Juneau, Alaska.
Children who ranged in ages from five to 12 were eating their breakfasts when they began complaining that the provided beverage "tasted bad and was burning their mouths and throats."
"The breakfast was served on trays by an outside contractor, NANA Management Services (NMS), at about 8:45 a.m. on Tuesday and the children brought their trays to a cafeteria table to eat, the district statement said," CNN reported. "After the children complained about the burning sensation, school district and NMS staff 'immediately followed up by smelling/tasting the milk and looking at the container/label.'"
The statement added that the substance servers believed to be milk was "floor sealant resembling liquid milk."
Staff immediately told students to stop drinking the substance and removed it from the premises, and a statement from the summer care program added that administrators reached out to poison control and "all steps provided ... were carefully followed."
The condition of the afflicted students was unknown at the time of publication, but the statement noted that at least one student received medical treatment from a nearby hospital while a second "may have gone to seek medical advice."
An investigation into the incident, which is being conducted by the Juneau Police Department, is underway.
NANA Management Services said that the organization is supporting a "full investigation" into the matter.
"We are supporting the full investigation, looking at every contributing factor to determine exactly what happened," a statement from the group read. "This process is key to identifying potential safety measures and putting those safety measures to work."