TheBlaze previously noted that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) was reportedly the reason why Democrats suddenly opposed an emergency coronavirus relief bill that had bipartisan support in the Senate over the weekend.
John Bresnahan, Politico's Washington bureau chief, reported that Pelosi had a "laundry list" of new demands, including many items completely unrelated to COVID-19 relief, like election security funding, student loan debt forgiveness, and a "host of other issues." Additionally, she said House Democrats would move forward with their own coronavirus relief package.
Not a good look
Well, among the line items Pelosi's House Democrats plopped into their version of a coronavirus stimulus bill are critical expenditures such as $35 million to the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C., Fox News reported.
"For an additional amount for 'Operations and Maintenance,' $35,000,000, to remain available until September 30, 2021, for operations and maintenance requirements related to the consequences of coronavirus: Provided, That notwithstanding the provisions of 20 U.S.C. 76th et seq., funds provided in this Act shall be made available to cover operating expenses required to ensure the continuity of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and its affiliates, including for employee compensation and benefits, grants, contracts, payments for rent or utilities, fees for artists or performers, information technology and other administrative expenses," the bill reads, according the cable network.
That's not all, folks
Fox News added that the next page of the House Democrats' bill allots $300 million to the National Endowment of the Arts, another $300 million to the National Endowment of the Humanities, $100 million for NASA — and the kicker: $278 million to the IRS.
How did observers react?
Ben Domenech, publisher of the Federalist, tweeted: "$35 Mil for the Kennedy Center is essential for battling the Coronavirus, says Nancy Pelosi." Commenters on Domenech's tweet had other things to say:
- "Mitch needs to go to the Senate and start reading all this out loud to the American people."
- "People are dying and the dems do this. It's literally the definition of evil. We've never seen a crisis like this before and they are funneling millions to their friends while withholding funds to people that actually need the resources."
- "To fight the coronavirus let's give extra funding to places that can pack in the biggest densest crowds to infect the most people in the shortest period of time."
- "These people should never be trusted with power again."
- "The queen of pork."
- "Not to worry. I'm sure some brave journalist will ask her about this and hold her to account."
(H/T: BizPac Review)