Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) faced online backlash after criticizing Ivanka Trump's online suggestion of fun family activities amid self-quarantines.
What are the details?
On Tuesday, the president's daughter tweeted, "Staying home today w/ kids? Plan living room camp out! Throw a bedsheet over some taped together brooms. Plan a menu & 'pack' sandwiches, salads (S'mores optional) A fun activity that also brings family together for a meal! Share your ideas & use the hashtag #TogetherApart[.]"
Omar, true to form, fired back and took Ivanka's suggestion personally, attempting to vilify her for President Donald Trump's administration policies.
Social media, for the most part, did not appreciate Omar's remark, especially considering recent news that Omar's recent divorce and subsequent remarriage to a man with whom she was allegedly having an affair.
Here are some of the more interesting responses to her sentiment below.
- "You're not qualified to talk about breaking up families."
- "She broke up 2 families. The people at the border can freely go home."
- "Hey @IlhanMN you should probably pipe down since you literally JUST broke up a family. Your new husband cheated on his wife who you knew about & his ex says he brought you to his marital home to meet her child while you 2 were sneaking around behind her back."
- "Now? During the crisis? Free immigration now? Open borders? You've displayed your opportunistic political virtue signaling, lack of patriotism and blatant hypocrisy once again."
- "Why do you need to be so hateful? Ivanka shared a simple family suggestion and you had to be spiteful and mean. Not something a true leader would do. Awful. I'm praying for this country to heal in all ways. You should try it."
- "You would think in all that is going on in the entire world, you would say something to bring our country together. Instead you remain hateful and tired and just pitiful. You had an opportunity to help instead you're condemning. There's no place for you here."