Despite the determination that neither President Donald Trump's campaign nor anyone associated with it colluded with Russia to influence the 2016 election, far-left U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) doesn't appear convinced — and has a curious theory along with it.
Waters — who's held the loudest megaphone among the chorus calling for Trump's impeachment and last year encouraged public harassment of Trump officials — told MSNBC's Joy Reid over the weekend that the president and his supporters have tried to brainwash the public into believing there was no collusion.
'Trying to get into people's heads'
"I wanna tell you that this president has a way of trying to get into people's heads and indoctrinate them," Waters said. "He's been saying 'no collusion, no collusion, no collusion' over and over again for a long time now, and he's gonna try and conclude that this report is proving that there's no collusion. And you have a lot of his sycophants who will, you know, take the nod from him, and they'll say the same thing."
She then told Reid that "we cannot allow them to get away with this" — but didn't clarify who she meant by "we."
"[Trump] does this all the time," Waters added. "This is not the end of anything."
The longtime congresswoman corrected herself a tad, noting that "it's the end of the report and the investigation by Mueller. But those of us who chair these committees have a responsibility to continue with our oversight. There's so much that needs to be, you know, taken a look at at this point. And so it's not the end of everything."
What else has Waters said?
- When Waters called for the public harassment of Trump officials last June, she told listeners to "make sure we show up wherever we have to show up and if you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd and you push back on them, and you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere."
- Last September Waters bragged in a speech that she "threaten[s]" Trump constituents and supporters "all the time."
- In that same speech — regarding Trump — she confessed, "I wake up in the middle of the night and all I can think about is, 'I'm going to get him. I'm going to get him. I'm going to get him.'"
- Last month Waters said Americans who support constructing a wall at the U.S. border with Mexico "are not patriots. They are not people who love this country, they are not people who stand up for what's right!"
- Last week she took issue with "many members of Congress" who "whisper" for Trump's impeachment "but have not supported my call for impeachment."
(H/T: The Daily Wire)