Filmmaker and left-wing activist Michael Moore — in the wake of the massacre of 19 children and two teachers at a Texas elementary school Tuesday — declared "it's time to repeal the Second Amendment."
What are the details?
Moore appeared on MSNBC's "All In with Chris Hayes" as the aftermath of the mass killing at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde was unfolding and called for "drastic action" — such as "a moratorium ... on gun sales."
Then the filmmaker got bolder: “Who will say on this network or any other network in the next few days, ‘It’s time to repeal the Second Amendment’?”
Moore continued, mimicking those who would dismiss such a statement: “Oh, you can’t say that!"
“Well, why not?” Moore added, responding in his hypothetical exchange.
“I truly believe if Jefferson and Washington and Madison — if they all knew that the bullet would be invented some 50 years after our revolution — I don’t know if they would have written [the Second Amendment] that way," he continued. "They didn’t even know what a bullet was; it didn’t exist 'til the 1830s. If they had any idea that there would be this kind of carnage, you have to believe that the founders of the country wouldn't support it.”
'We need the hardcore stuff'
Moore added, "I support all gun control legislation. Not sensible gun control; we don’t need the sensible stuff. We need the hardcore stuff that’s going to protect ourselves and our children."
He also quipped that "I do have thoughts and prayers, and those thoughts and prayers are to remove as many Republicans, as many people who support this evil policy, this coming November. And Americans know this; they don't want this. They don't want their kids killed at school. That's the vast majority of Americans. I'm in the mainstream of that."
How did folks respond to Moore?
While a good number of commenters reacting to the clip on Hayes' Twitter page supported Moore's stance, others weren't going to stand for their rights getting trampled upon:
- "Come take it," one commenter threw down in response to Moore.
- "Always the Democrats' ultimate goal," another user remarked. "Thanks for being open about it."
- "So go to people's houses who have loaded guns and try to take them @JoeBiden," another commenter said. "People outnumber government, law enforcement. Try & do something crazy if you want & suffer the consequences. We know you want to take guns away. Ppl must NEVER comply!"
- "Oh STFU. We have a decaying societal issue, not a gun issue," another user reacted. "Neat how you libtards pic[k] and choose which evil events ... to cover. ... But you keep your 9 viewers entertained."
- "Let no one but gangsters, criminals, and dickheads legally own powerful guns.... The ENTIRE country will be a SNAKE PLISSKIN movie you can't ESCAPE from. So be sensible," another commenter quipped. "And send Mr. Moore another rack of lamb."
- "If the Second can be repealed, so can the First," another user observed. "Do you really want to go down that rabbit hole?"