Watch LIVE

NFL agent says his 'virtually inseparable' parents, married 51 years, died 6 minutes apart from the coronavirus


'They were never in different places, and they were rarely in different rooms'

Image source: ABC News video screenshot

NFL agent Buddy Baker told ABC's "Good Morning America" that his parents — Stuart Baker, 74, and Adrian Baker, 72 — were married 51 years and were "virtually inseparable."

"They were never in different places, and they were rarely in different rooms," Baker told the show.

That all changed, he told "GMA," three weeks ago when they visited their doctor, who said they may have a slight case of pneumonia but should be fine. But Baker's mom and dad began feeling worse and finally went to a hospital March 19, he told the program.

"My dad was admitted, and my mom was sent home," Baker told "GMA," adding that his father had asthma while his mother had no underlying heath issues.

'Worried about my mom being by herself'

Baker noted to the program he was concerned about his mother being alone while his dad was hospitalized, as they weren't used to being apart.

"So we were really worried about my mom being by herself … we would go see her, and she was very weak and really wasn't walking great," he added to GMA.

Soon Baker's father tested positive for COVID-19, was transferred to intensive care — and few hours later he got a call from the hospital saying that his dad "wasn't going to make it," the program noted.

Concerned that his mom would have an anxiety attack upon hearing the news, particularly in her weakened and worsening state of health, Baker told "GMA" the family brought her to the hospital as a "precautionary measure."

The news gets worse

Baker added to the program that about 45 minutes after his mother was admitted, the hospital told him her condition was deteriorating.

"In the timeframe of about five to six hours, I was informed on the phone by two separate doctors, that each one of [my] parents were [most likely] not going to make it," he told "GMA," while noting that he was still hopeful about his mother.

"[My] mom on Wednesday woke up for a few minutes and kind of waved at us through the glass," Baker recalled to the program. "We didn't go in the room, and it just got worse every day."

The next day a doctor said neither would survive and their organs were shutting down, he told "GMA."

Together again

Upon receiving the news, Baker told the program that hospice paperwork was completed so his parents, now sedated, would be taken off ventilators and finally be together again in the same hospital room.

"They actually sent up a picture of them holding hands," Baker said on the program.

On Sunday, they were taken off the ventilators and died six minutes apart, Baker noted to "GMA."

'We live in a world of, 'It can't happen to me''

"We live in a world of, 'It can't happen to me, it can't happen to us, it can't happen to my family.' Well, it happened to us," Baker said in a Twitter post. "I'd like to take this time to make people start thinking about making a change."

Baker said he "started thinking, 'This has got to stop. We've got to work to stop spreading this virus,'" and that people need to end thoughts of "I'm too young, I'm too healthy" and accept the fact that "it could happen to somebody in your family."

"There's nothing that can be done, unfortunately, to bring our parents back," he added to the program. "But we can hopefully save other people's lives ... by doing things to stop the spread of this virus."

Most recent
All Articles