A "Pride Cruiser" got a grand "unveiling" on video, courtesy of the "LGBTQIA+ liaison officer" for the police department in Columbus, Ohio, recently.
What are the details?
The white SUV — adorned with rainbow flags and LBGTQ-themed messages such as "Love Is Love" — is parked behind the officer as he delivers the news to viewers.
"Hi, I’m Officer Lutz with the Columbus Division of Police. I’m your LGBTQIA+ liaison officer, and we're unveiling right now our Pride Cruiser for the month of June!" the officer says.
With that, Lutz steps aside as the camera trains upon the SUV from all angles and music plays in the background:
"Happy #PRIDE Columbus!!!" the tweet from Columbus Police reads. "Make sure to say hi to Officer Lutz when you see him out and get a photo with our PRIDE cruiser!"
As the video plays, Lutz adds, "I’m excited about this cruiser. It’s great for representation.”
Other phrases on the "Pride Cruiser" urge citizens to "Report Hate Crimes" and to celebrate "Columbus Pride 2022."
How are folks reacting to the 'Pride Cruiser'?
Certainly the "Pride Cruiser" has its share of supporters on Twitter, but a goodly number of folks reacting to the tweet from Columbus Police weren't exactly thrilled with the "unveiling":
- "I guarantee you that most of your officers and employees are embarrassed by this nonsense," one commenter wrote.
- "I'm sure that police car will strike fear in the hearts of criminals," another user guessed.
- "This is a joke right?" another commenter asked. "Y’all just f***in with us."
- "You are an EMBARRASSMENT to your community," another user responded. "I feel sad for your taxpayers having to fund virtue-signaling idiocy."
- "You people are a joke," another commenter declared.
- "This is absolutely insane," another user said. "Why R we paying for any of this? Are you guys so completely bored that you can waste time and $ on this crap? A [liaison] for the LGBTQ community ... WTF do U actually do and why do we need this position? Why can't the LGBTQ community just go to any cop?"
- "Openly gay shouldn’t be any different than openly heterosexual," another commenter stated. "I thought that was the whole point, but now every June we’ll be inundated with Pride??? Sheesh. Just stop already 'cause it’s gone way beyond being proud of being gay."
- "I have an enormous amount of respect for [law] enforcement. I defend policing, donate $ to FOP, and rely on local police to keep my family safe," another user noted. "This is f***ing ridiculous."