President Donald Trump will use his address from the White House Diplomatic Reception Room on Saturday to propose an immigration compromise with Democrats, Axios reported.
Trump's announcement comes as the partial government shutdown enters its fifth week. The government shut down several days before Christmas over a stalemate between Trump and Democrats. The president says he will not sign spending bills that exclude money for the border wall, while Democrat refuse to approve funds for the wall.
What are the details?
In exchange for the border wall, Trump will offer Democrats a deal that includes protections for illegal immigrants who are in the U.S. legally under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, a hallmark Obama-era policy.
The offer is expected to include Trump's $5.7 billion demand for wall money in exchange for the BRIDGE Act — which would extend protections for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) — and also legislation to extend the legal status of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) holders.
Advocates for the plan argue that by offering the new proposal, Trump is showing he's willing to negotiate while Pelosi remains unmoved. But even some top Republicans are skeptical Trump's overture will be enough to break the logjam.
Vice President Mike Pence and Jared Kushner, a senior White House adviser and son-in-law to the president, reportedly crafted the deal. Whether Democrats will accept such a proposal remains to be seen.
The renewed effort to end the shutdown comes after Trump stopped House Speaker Nancy Pelosi from using military aircraft for an overseas trip. According to Axios, it was that controversial incident that proved to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) that Pelosi is unwilling to compromise, so Trump needed to offer a deal that would gain traction on Capitol Hill.
Pence, Kushner, and McConnell met on Thursday to finalize the bill, which is the "culmination of Kushner and Pence's conversations with some Democrats and an inventory of proposals they discussed," Axios reported.
Meanwhile, Democrats are offering new legislation to re-open the government that includes just $1 billion for border-related spending — but not a wall.
How did Democrats respond?
Before Trump even officially announced his proposal to the American people, Democrats, including Pelosi and Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), announced their opposition to the proposal.
"Unfortunately, initial reports make clear that his proposal is a compilation of several previously rejected initiatives, each of which is unacceptable and in total, do not represent a good faith effort to restore certainty to people's lives," Pelosi said in a statement.
This story has been updated.