Please verify

Watch LIVE

Severed leg of truck driver found 50 miles from where he was fatally struck by SUV on interstate highway

Photo by ANDRI TAMBUNAN/AFP via Getty Images

A commercial truck driver's severed leg was found on Interstate 10 in Texas — 50 miles from where the victim was fatally struck by an SUV, also on Interstate 10.

What are the details?

A motorist spotted what appeared to be a human leg in the interstate's eastbound lanes in Cibolo on March 22, KSAT-TV reported, adding that police shut down the interstate and secured the area while they investigated.

Detectives called other agencies and learned of a fatal accident earlier in the day on the interstate in Boerne, which is 50 miles away, the station said.

“The leg was turned over to them to see if there was a connection,” a Cibolo police spokesman told KSAT.

It was determined that the remains were related to the fatal accident involving commercial truck driver Jeremy McGee, 48, of Kerrville, the station said.

McGee pulled over to the right-hand shoulder of I-10 and exited his truck when an SUV motorist hit him, KSAT said.

Boerne officials said the body part became lodged on a passing truck and then dislodged in Cibolo, the station said.

Boerne and Cibolo are northwest and northeast of San Antonio, respectively. Interstates 410 and 35 — and smaller roads — intersect with I-10 in San Antonio, and it doesn't appear clear what route the truck traveled between Boerne and Cibolo.

“By the next day our investigators positively identified the body part belonged to Mr. McGee before his burial,” Boerne Communications Director Chris Shadrock said, according to KSAT.

Shadrock added to the station that the accident investigation continues, but police at this time don’t expect to file any charges against the SUV driver.

Anything else?

A previous KSAT story, citing police, noted that when McGee pulled over his truck, the headlights were on, a right-side blinker was flashing, but the emergency flashers were not activated.

The driver who hit McGee immediately pulled over and remained at the scene, the station said, adding that the 7 a.m. accident led to major delays in the area.

Most recent
All Articles