Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey called Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) to explain why President Donald Trump's tweets about Omar's Sept. 11 comments did not violate the social media site's rules, according to The Washington Post.
Omar came under fire after referring to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks as "some people did something," and was accused of trivializing the tragedy.
President Trump tweeted about it, and pinned the tweet to the top of his feed for some time. The tweet featured a video that began with Omar's comments and included footage of the planes hitting the Twin Towers. The president captioned the tweet, "WE WILL NEVER FORGET!"
WE WILL NEVER FORGET! https://t.co/VxrGFRFeJM— Donald J. Trump (@Donald J. Trump)1555104931.0
Omar has claimed that the tweet sparked a surge of death threats toward her.
"Since the President's tweet Friday evening, I have experienced an increase in direct threats on my life — many directly referencing or replying to the President's video," Omar said in a statement.
Omar reportedly requested to Dorsey that the president's tweet be deleted from the site. Dorsey reportedly told Omar that the tweet itself did not violate the site's terms of service, and that the video President Trump posted had already been circulated far outside Twitter anyway.
Twitter also issued a statement about the call.
"During their conversation, [Dorsey] emphasized that death threats, incitement to violence, and hateful conduct are not allowed on Twitter," the statement read. "We've significantly invested in technology to proactively surface this type of content and will continue to focus on reducing the burden on the individual being targeted. Our team has also consistently been in touch with Rep. Omar's office."
Dorsey's conversation reportedly took place the same day that the Twitter CEO met with President Trump, during which the president reportedly complained that his followers on the site were being targeted and removed.
(H/T The Hill)