© 2024 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Unvaccinated COVID patient who was transferred to Texas after a Minnesota hospital tried to take him off a ventilator has died
Image Source: YouTube screenshot

Unvaccinated COVID patient who was transferred to Texas after a Minnesota hospital tried to take him off a ventilator has died

Scott Quiner — an unvaccinated COVID-19 patient whose wife sued after a Minnesota hospital treating him threatened to take him off a ventilator — died over the weekend, presumably from severe complications of the disease. He was 55 years old.

Quiner had been transferred to a hospital in Houston, Texas, for further lifesaving treatment after a judge blocked his original facility, Mercy Hospital in Minnesota, from pulling the plug and effectively ending his life.

In a statement issued on Saturday to multiple media outlets, the family's attorney, Marjorie Holsten, said, "On behalf of the family of Scott Quiner, I would like to thank the public for the outpouring of love and support during this difficult time. The family now requests privacy as they grieve the loss of their beloved husband and father."

According to the Washington Post, Holsten declined to identify the Texas facility where Quiner was being treated or share details about the circumstances surrounding his death.

What's the background?

Quiner's story garnered national attention after his family shared news about the hospital's intentions and their ensuing court battle in media appearances.

His wife, Anne, started a GoFundMe page to raise support for the family's legal and medical fights and previously alleged the Minnesota hospital's decision to pull her husband's life support was partly due to his unvaccinated status.

According to the GoFundme page, Quiner was not vaccinated against the virus when he tested positive for COVID-19 on Oct. 30. Shortly after his diagnosis, he was admitted to Waconia Hospital with critically low oxygen levels. About a week later, on Nov. 6, he was transferred to Mercy Hospital's intensive care unit after his oxygen levels did not improve with treatment.

Quiner remained in ICU on a ventilator for more than two months. Then, on Jan. 11, Mercy Hospital doctors told Anne Quiner that they intended to take him off the ventilator.

"It was absolutely stunning," Holsten told BlazeTV host Glenn Beck in an interview last week. "[Anne] came in and she has this order, I saw the screenshot from the [online medical] chart that said [Scott] is basically scheduled for execution at noon the following day."

The family immediately responded by suing the hospital and its operator, Allina Health, appealing for a restraining order while they looked for a separate facility that would continue lifesaving treatment.

Holsten told Beck the Minnesota hospital responded to the appeal by claiming that the "position" to keep Scott alive "is not supported by medical science or Minnesota law," adding. "As a result, Mercy will ask the court to issue an order that Mercy has the authority to discontinue Mr. Quiner's ventilator and proceed with his medical care plan."

Mercy's "medical care plan" was to remove Quiner from the ventilator and let him die, the family said.

What else?

Anoka County Judge Jennifer Stanfield eventually granted the family's appeal, and Quiner was able to be transferred to a hospital in Texas for further treatment. But Anne Quiner said that upon his arrival, doctors in Texas were shocked and discouraged by his condition.

"The doctor [in Texas] spent two hours with Scott and when he came back out, he said, 'I don't know how he even made it, how he even survived that other hospital ... but I will do everything I can to try to save his life,'" Anne explained.

Holsten added, "And the doctor [in Texas] said Scott was the most undernourished patient he has ever seen."

It is not clear whether the family intends to pursue further legal action against Mercy Hospital and Allina Health.

In a statement following news of Quiner's death, Allina said, "We are saddened to hear about the passing of Scott Quiner and our deepest condolences go out to family, friends, and loved ones. His passing marks yet another very sad moment as collectively we continue to face the devastating effects of the pandemic."

Minnesota man dies from COVID-19 after family fought to keep his ventilator on | FOX 9 KMSPwww.youtube.com

Want to leave a tip?

We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Want to join the conversation?
Already a subscriber?