College Park, Maryland's City Council voted Tuesday to allow noncitizens the right to vote in municipal elections, reported the Washington Post. This decision comes after President Trump vowed to crack down on immigration and halt all deportation-relief programs. The question is, why have so many Democrats abandoned the Constitution? If you aren't a U.S. citizen, you have no rights in this country but progressives believe otherwise. The constitution should only apply to the citizens of this country, one would think.
Here's what's happening:
- An amendment to allow noncitizens the right to vote passed 4 to 3 in an eight-member council with one member abstaining.
- Noncitizens will be able to cast their ballot in municipal elections starting in 2019.
- The city now joins Hyattsville, Mount Rainier, and Takoma Park in extending this privilege to noncitizens.
- Undocumented immigrants, student visa holders, and residents with green cards will all be allowed to vote.
- Former mayor Andrew Fellow said,"Even if it weren’t for the national context, it would be important for us to vote in support of noncitizens voting."
Locals had mixed reactions and some were called Nazis for disagreeing with the new proposal. Emily Weant, who has been a resident of College Park since 2013, told the Washington Post it's "a slap in the face to citizens, especially Latino immigrants who have earned their citizenship.” Rick Hudson who opposed the move was called a Nazi during a four-hour meeting on the subject. “I came here to have a civil discourse, and I was called a Nazi,” he told the Post.
"That's unconstitutional," said Pat Gray. "There's a little something we like to call the U.S. Constitution that says, 'Yeah, you can't do that."