In response to last night's mystery missile launch, military and defense agencies are offering conflicting statement regarding what happened and if the U.S. was, or is, in danger.
This morning, the North American Aerospace Defense Command released a statement saying that at no point were Americans in danger.
"We are aware of the unexplained contrail reported off the coast of Southern California yesterday evening," NORAD and the U.S. Northern Command, which operates the U.S. and Canadian missile warning system, said. "At this time, we are unable to provide specific details but we are working to determine the exact nature of this event."
It continued: "We can confirm that there is no indication of any threat to our nation and we will provide more information as it becomes available."
However that statement has come under fire from Pentagon spokesman. Col. Dave Lapan, who said he is not able to concur with an official from NORAD who told Fox News earlier that there was "no threat to the homeland."
Lapan said the military doesn't know exactly what the so-called mystery missile was, so it can't say it's harmless.
"Nobody within the Department of Defense that we've reached out to has been able to explain what this contrail is, where it came from," Lapan said according to the Associated Press. "So far, we've come up empty with any explanation."
Lapan said officials are talking to the Air Force, Navy and NORAD as well as civilian authorities who control and monitor air space.
"Right now, all indications are that there was not (Department of Defense) involvement in this," Lapan said, adding that some object might have been launched by a private company.
Officials had no information to make them suspect that the action was taken by any U.S. adversary.
"At this point, until we know more information about what it may have been, there is not alarm," Lapan said. "But that could change depending on what we find out."
Fox News TV is reporting that some military officials agree that there was no military involvement, however the Navy and all other military branches continue to claim no knowledge. That seems to be confirmed by Fox, which says it called "every" western military base and they all claim no knowledge or responsibility.
In addition, the Federal Aviation Administration didn't approve any commercial space launches in the area Monday, spokesman Ian Gregor said Tuesday, according to the L.A. Times.
"It didn't happen here," Naval Base Ventura County spokeswoman Teri Reid said Tuesday. "There was no firing on the range yesterday." Air Force officials also claimed no responsibility.
This is a breaking news story. Updates will be added.