More evidence is surfacing in the case of slain Florida teen Trayvon Martin that could be problematic for his shooter. According to the funeral director given charge of Martin's dead body, the body showed no signs of any kind of struggle, let alone the one described in shooter George Zimmerman's account of the night Martin was shot. Reuters caught this development in the story:
"The story just does not make sense that he was in this type of scuffle or fight," [Richard] Kurtz, a funeral director at the Roy Mizell and Kurtz Funeral Home in Fort Lauderdale, told the television station.
"In dressing the body we could see no physical signs like there had been a scuffle," he said. "I didn't see any knuckles' bruises and what have you, and that is something we would cover up if it would have been there. I did not see any signs of any cuts on his neck or face."[...]
Martin's autopsy report has not been released and the state prosecutor investigating the case said on Thursday that some evidence is being withheld from the public because it is part of an active criminal investigation.
This evidence, combined with the doubt cast by police surveillance tapes, adds just one more wrinkle to an already complicated and tragic case. There is still no news as to whether Zimmerman will be arrested or charged, though a grand jury is investigating.
Here's video of the funeral director explaining his findings:
It's worth noting that Zimmerman's account claims Martin did the hitting. It's not clear if Zimmerman hit him back. The funeral director specifically mentions that there was no bruising on Martin's body, which would be consistent if the first blow Zimmerman got in was to fire his gun. However, he also mentions that there was no indicator that Martin was punching anyone, which does contradict part of Zimmerman's story.