At least two are dead and two male students have been taken to a local area hospital in critical condition following a shooting at Sparks Middle School in northern Nevada on Monday morning, authorities said.
Washoe Schools Police Chief Mike Mieras said at a press conference that several individuals had been shot and that two were dead, including the shooter who is a likely student.
Family members have identified one of the deceased as 45-year-old math teacher Michael Landsberry.
Fox News reported on-air that the suspected shooter was a student and a witness corroborated this report to the Gazette-Journal.
Kyle Nucum, 13, told the Gazette-Journal him and other students heard a shot fired. When a teacher told the student holding the firearm to put it down, the student fired a round at the teacher who fell to the ground.
"We heard a pop, like a loud pop and everybody was screaming," said Nucum.
"The teacher came to investigate," he continued. "The student was pointing a gun at the teacher after the teacher told him to put it down and then the student fired at a shot at the teacher and the teacher fell and everyone ran away."
"We ran across the field to get somewhere safe and while we were running we heard about four or five more shots," he said.
Authorities have not confirmed Nuccum's report.
According to KRXI-TV, student witnesses reported the shooter talking about how "his life was ruined" before opening fire.
Police secure the scene near Sparks Middle School after a shooting in Sparks, Nev., on Monday, Oct. 21, 2013. Authorities are reporting that two people were killed and two wounded at the Nevada middle school. (AP/Kevin Clifford)
Sparks City Manager Shawn Carey told the Gazette-Journal that the shooter had died after a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval (R) issued a statement after learning about the shooting.
“I was deeply saddened to learn of the horrific shooting at Sparks Middle School this morning," he said. "My administration is receiving regular updates and the Nevada Highway Patrol is assisting at the scene. Kathleen and I extend our thoughts and prayers to the victims and those affected by these tragic events.”
Senator Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said in a tweet his "thoughts are with teachers, parents and students" who "experienced a traumatic morning.
"Nevada mourns them," he added.
Reno Deputy Chief Tom Robinson said the school has been secured.
"The schools are safe," he said, according to the Gazette-Journal. "The rest of the city is safe."
According to a dispatcher, the call came in at 7.16 a.m. local time.
Listen to the EMS scanner audio below (EDITOR'S NOTE: The information reported in this audio has not been verified):
This is a developing news story. Updates will be added.
Follow Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) on Twitter