"What do the Saudis have on us?" Glenn Beck asked TheBlaze's national security adviser Buck Sexton on Monday.
As Beck sees it, there are too many instances where the Saudis have received unwarranted preferential treatment in the wake of terrorist attacks, among other things, for there not to be another layer to the relationship between the United States and Saudi Arabia.
As Sexton sees it, the Gulf nation has a number of factors working to its advantage. Among them, Sexton said the Saudis position themselves as "the least bad alternative," though "most people would probably put that secondary to 'a whole lot of oil.'"
In many cases we have no choice but to work with them, Sexton added, "and so we were willing to turn a blind eye to certain stuff."
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, left, attends a coffee ceremony with Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal as a welcome upon Kerry's arrival in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Tuesday, June 25, 2013. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, Pool)
The former CIA officer added that it is doubly difficult to discover the truth on such matters because of how redacted the relevant documents are. They are purposefully presented that way, he said, because in many cases "the government is trying to avoid embarrassment."
They want to keep private the fact that "nobody was minding the store," he said.
"You hope that the government would be doing it because of specific sources and methods, things that they need to (protect)," he added. "The much more likely one is real embarrassment - missing things that ... people should've possibly gone to jail for, if not lost their jobs for."
Watch the complete interview below:
The full episode of The Glenn Beck Program, along with many other live streaming shows and thousands of hours of on-demand content, is available on just about any digital device. Get it all with a FREE TRIAL.
Other Must-Read Stories:
- Former CIA Officer Buck Sexton Goes Off on Obama’s ‘Lack of Clarity, Character, and Principle in Foreign Policy’
- Buck Sexton: Obama Admin a Combination of ‘Desperate and Arrogant on All Foreign Policy Matters’
- Former Secret Service Agent Warns of a ‘Very, Very Dangerous’ Development in America
- TheBlaze’s Buck Sexton Slams Absolute ‘Counterterrorism Catastrophe’ That You May Not Have Heard About
- ‘No One Is Prepared for What’s Coming’: TheBlaze’s Buck Sexton Calls in From Tahrir Square