Fox News released a statement Thursday afternoon explaining why the news outlet mysteriously removed videos showing an interview host Megyn Kelly conducted with an anonymous man who claimed to have attended the same mosque as the Oklahoma beheading suspect.
The individual, identified only as “Noor,” had only his silhouette shown on television to protect his anonymity and made news when he said the mosque attended by the beheading suspect taught non-Muslims must either be converted or killed.
Megyn Kelly (left) interviews a man only identified as "Noor" (right) who claims he attends the same mosque as the Oklahoma beheading suspect. (Image source: Screen grab via Fox News)
Later, CNN host Brian Stelter observed that Fox News had removed the archived video form its website. Users attempting to access webpages which previously had the footage embedded were met with errors.
Click this link http://t.co/I256AB0ppj and you'll see that the interview with the anonymous whistleblower is gone. pic.twitter.com/IwqWCz1NKu
— Brian Stelter (@brianstelter) October 2, 2014
Fox News later explained what happened.
“‘Noor’ knowingly agreed to appear on The Kelly File in silhouette and was given the option to disguise his voice, which he chose not to do,” Tom Lowell, executive producer for “The Kelly File,” said in a statement, according to Mediaite.
“Following the interview, ‘Noor’ expressed apprehension about his voice not being disguised and in response, a producer removed the video out of concern for the guest’s personal safety,” he continued. “This was an error in judgment. Once management was made aware of the situation, the video was put back up in its original form.”
The video has since returned to the Fox News Insider page.