Get BlazeTV
News

Another Toddler Dies From Enterovirus D68

There is no vaccine or specific treatment.

DETROIT (TheBlaze/AP) — A 21-month-old girl is the first person in Michigan to die from the virus that has caused severe respiratory illness across the country, state health officials said Saturday.

Madeline Reid died Friday afternoon from enterovirus D68, according to Children's Hospital of Michigan in Detroit. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the illness after the Clinton Township girl's arrival at the hospital but did not specify which day she arrived, according to a statement from the hospital's chief medical officer.

"It is never easy to lose a child, and our entire health care team at the Children's Hospital of Michigan is deeply saddened by this family's loss and mourns with them during this very difficult time," Dr. Rudolph Valentini said.

A New Jersey state medical examiner said last week that a 4-year-old boy died of the virus, and the CDC said five people infected with the virus have died, but it's not clear what role the virus played. The virus has sickened 691 people in 46 states and Washington, D.C., the CDC said in a release this week.

Enterovirus D68 can cause flu-like symptoms and respiratory problems. The virus can be spread through coughing, sneezing and contact with contaminated surfaces. There is no vaccine or specific treatment.

As of Tuesday, 31 cases in Michigan had tested positive for enterovirus D68, according to Jennifer Smith, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Community Health.

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Subscribe Now
Recommended
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.