Watch LIVE

As N.Y. City Council Commemorated Auschwitz Liberation, Pro-Palestinian Activists Made Their Move

News

"...incredibly disrespectful and offensive."

Pro-Palestinian activists were condemned by members of the New York City Council Thursday for disrupting a meeting as the elected body voted to commemorate the liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp.

“I am still shaken, upset and angry,” said Councilman David Greenfield, a Democrat from Brooklyn.

“While we were discussing a resolution regarding the murder of 1.1 million human beings – I will point out that 90 percent of them were Jewish, but the other 10 percent, they were political dissidents ... those were the people who were being killed together at Auschwitz-Birkenau," he continued. "While we were discussing that, they had the nerve, the chutzpah, the temerity, to unfurl a Palestinian flag and yell at us.”

Several dozen activists, who were protesting a trip planned to Israel next month by council members, shouted "Palestinian lives matter" and "don't support genocide," as the body began to vote to commemorate the liberation of the concentration camp on its 70th anniversary.

According to the New York Daily News, some of the demonstrators had to be physically ejected from the chambers.

Such actions were quickly condemned by council members.

According to a local Jewish-news website, member Cory Johnson decried it as "incredibly disrespectful and offensive."

“The State of Israel has never supported the killing of innocent people, and they want to love in peace," echoed councilman Mark Weprin.

(H/T: Weasel Zippers)

Follow Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) on Twitter

Most recent
All Articles