The House Select Committee on Benghazi has given Hillary Clinton another two weeks to collect her work-related emails from her time as secretary of state, after Clinton asked for more time to meet the terms of a subpoena that the committee issued on March 4.
The committee's subpoena initially asked Clinton turn over all her Benghazi-related emails by March 13. But before that deadline, Clinton's team asked for more time, and Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) agreed to extend the deadline for another two weeks, until March 27.
"Chairman Gowdy granted a reasonable extension because for him this is not about politics, it is about getting all relevant documents for the committee," committee spokesman Jamal Ware told TheBlaze.
Gowdy issued a subpoena for Clinton's emails about a week before she admitted that she decided on her own which emails on her personal server would be sent to the State Department last year, more than a year after she left office. Clinton also said she deleted more than 30,000 emails that she deemed to be "personal."
After those comments, Gowdy said Clinton should now testify twice before his committee — once on her use of emails, and again on her role in the response to the 2012 attack in Benghazi, Libya, that left four Americans dead. Gowdy's spokesman reiterated that Clinton should hand over her private server to investigators, something Clinton has said would not happen.
"He still believes the best option for Secretary Clinton is to turn over her server to a neutral arbiter to independently determine what should be in the public domain," Ware said. "The committee has no interest in her personal emails."