Watch LIVE

One of the Boxers in the 'Fight of the Century' Apparently Banned Three Sports Reporters — and They Have One Thing in Common

News

"I will also not let fear of retaliation prevent me from asking the tough questions the public deserves answers to in the future."

Floyd Mayweather Jr. smiles during the welterweight unification championship bout on May 2, 2015 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Image source: Al Bello/Getty Images)

Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. apparently revoked the press credentials of three sports reporters for his much-heralded "fight of the century" against Manny Pacquiao Saturday — and all three have been critical of Mayweather regarding his history of domestic violence.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. smiles during the welterweight unification championship bout on May 2, 2015 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Image source: Al Bello/Getty Images)

The journalists in question are CNN’s Rachel Nichols, ESPN’s Michelle Beadle and USA Today's Martin Rogers.

Nichols on Saturday tweeted a difficult interview she conducted with Mayweather in late 2014 which say indicated was the straw that broke the camel's back:

Mayweather's publicist Kelly Swanson denied the allegations: "Nobody was banned from the arena, OK?" Swanson told the Huffington Post.

While HBO Sports ended up credentialing Beadle, she had already left town:

Nichols broke it down further from her perspective:

Have had a bunch of folks asking questions about the Mayweather issue. Here's what happened: After asking tough questions of Floyd Mayweather on my program, I was not offered press credentials to cover tonight's fight. In an email dated April 23, I was told I would only be credentialed for the run-up events through the week, but in bold, italic letters the email stated "you do not have any access Saturday to any services or events." A CNN producer revisited the issue with the Mayweather camp on April 29, confirming to Mayweather's publicist that I would be in Las Vegas, and the publicist replied that I would still be denied a fight night credential. I was told the same thing when I arrived at the credential office in person on May 1, by two separate officials, in front of several other people. It doesn't surprise me that now, after facing significant backlash, the Mayweather camp has reversed its position. But despite this, and other outside parties generously offering me their seats, I will not attend the fight. I will also not let fear of retaliation prevent me from asking the tough questions the public deserves answers to in the future.

Follow Dave Urbanski (@DaveVUrbanski) on Twitter

Most recent
All Articles