A breathing trick can induce sleep in as little as 60 seconds, according to sleep expert Dr. Andrew Weil.
The technique, called the "4-7-8" method, was inspired by yoga and supposedly works by promoting a state of calm within the body and slowing the heart rate down.
A video posted online shows Weil demonstrate the technique.
"The 4-7-8 Breathing Exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere," the doctor wrote in the video description.
Here are Weil's written instructions:
1) Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
2) Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
3) Hold your breath for a count of seven.
4) Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
5) This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
The technique was widely circulated online Wednesday, despite Weil having been trumping it for years.
Featured image via Shutterstock.
Follow Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) on Twitter