All public schools in Nashua, New Hampshire, were closed Monday after school district officials received a threatening email.
Law enforcement officials said they are working to determine the credibility of the threat.
Superintendent Mark Conrad announced all schools in Nashua will be closed Dec. 21 after an unspecified threat was directed at both of the district’s high schools.
"We have received a detailed threat of violence to harm students and staff at both high schools," Conrad said in a statement released Sunday evening. "The threat is specific to tomorrow (Monday). We have been working closely with the Nashua Police Department, which is still working at this time (Sunday) to determine the credibility of the threat."
"Because the threat is specific and extends to several schools, we will be cautious and close all of our public schools in Nashua tomorrow, Monday, December 21st," Conrad continued. “I do expect our schools to reopen on Tuesday. I regret any difficulties this creates for working parents but safety must remain our first priority. Thank you."
Two private schools in the city — St. Christopher School and Nashua Catholic Junior High School — followed suit and cancelled classes on Monday as a precaution.
In a statement, Gov. Maggie Hassan (D) said, “The State Police and state emergency management officials are working closely with the Nashua Police Department, local public safety officials and the FBI."
“We will continue to monitor the situation and work together at the state, local and federal levels to investigate the threat and keep our communities safe," Hassan said.
WMUR-TV reports that a state police bomb squad was seen at Nashua High School North Sunday evening.
Last week, all schools in Los Angeles were closed after school officials there received an emailed threat.
Follow Kate Scanlon (@kgscanlon) on Twitter