Though few details were revealed, the Los Angeles Police Department confirmed Wednesday that it has opened an investigation into embattled actor Charlie Sheen regarding alleged threats he made against his ex-fiancé.
LAPD spokesman Officer Matthew Ludwig said the investigation — which began March 31 — is still ongoing, according to USA Today, and that the information collected so far has been turned over detectives and officers in the department's Threat Management team.
HOLLYWOOD, CA - APRIL 11: Actor Charlie Sheen arrives for the premiere of Dimension Films' 'Scary Movie 5' at ArcLight Cinemas Cinerama Dome on April 11, 2013 in Hollywood, California. (Credit: Getty Images)
Ludwig could not share any information about the investigation or any details about who brought the accusation against Sheen to the LAPD, but the lawyer of Sheen's former fiancé confirmed that he was being investigated for threatening his client's life.
David Ring, a lawyer for Scottine Rossi, 26, said the former "Two and a Half Men" star threatened to kill Rossi and that she is so afraid she obtained an emergency protective order against Sheen last week.
Sheen is known for having trouble with women and his problems grew exponentially when he admitted last year to being HIV-positive and had been for years secretly.
Rossi, a pornographic actress, is one of the women Sheen says "extorted" him for millions of dollars upon learning that he was HIV-positive. She is suing the actor, claiming he reneged on a $1 million settlement and forced her into an abortion because he was fearful the child could also have HIV.
In addition, Rossi also sued Sheen in December of last year for assault and battery, emotional distress, negligence and false imprisonment, USA Today reported.
Rossi claimed to have only learned last week that there is a recording of Sheen speaking on the phone with an unidentified individual, issuing threats against her. The audio was originally obtained by the National Enquirer.
"[Rossi] takes it extremely seriously because she knows him and knows his personality and behavior," Ring said. "It's not just his typical bluster. I heard [the tape] and it's legitimate. I know the context, and there are things he said on the tape that only he would know because we were in settlement talks at the time [over the lawsuit].
And the LAPD, who Ring says are working to obtain the full recording, is taking the issue just as seriously.
"They view it as an important piece of evidence," he said.
Ludwig said the police have obtained a search warrant, but the tabloid is pushing back.
"We believe the search warrant is illegal and violates federal and state law prohibiting the use of search warrants against media companies who are reporting news and information," Enquirer editor-in-chief Dylan Howard said.
Follow the author of this story on Twitter: