On the night the Benghazi compound was attacked a call sheet was sent to then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton stating “armed extremists” were behind the attack, according to documents released Monday by the ethics group Judicial Watch.
Clinton also met with then-United Nations Ambassador Susan Rice days before Rice went on Sunday morning news program claiming the attack resulted from a spontaneous demonstration, according to the documents obtained through a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit.
Hillary Clinton, former U.S. secretary of state and 2016 Democratic presidential candidate, waits for the start of a House Select Committee on Benghazi hearing in Washington, D.C., U.S., on Thursday, Oct. 22, 2015. Under scrutiny for her handling of the Benghazi attacks and her use of a private e-mail server, Clinton plans to invoke the memory of slain U.S. ambassador Christopher Stevens to defend her approach to diplomacy, saying they shared a common belief in the need for America to lead. (Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
Clinton then had a White House meeting before she met with the families of the four killed, U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens, U.S. Foreign Service Information Management Officer Sean Smith, and CIA contractors Tyrone S. Woods and Glen Doherty.
According to the Sept. 11, 2012 call sheets:
Armed extremists attacked U.S. [special mission compound in] Benghazi on September 11, setting fire to the Principal Officer's Residence and killing at least one American mission staff, Information Management Officer Sean Smith, on TDY from The Hague.
Clinton’s schedule for Sept. 14, 2012 reveals she met with Rice and later attended a White House situation room meeting before seeing the victims' families, where she blamed an anti-Muslim YouTube video for prompting the attack.
Rice went on to appear on the Sunday morning news programs for ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and CNN.
“But based on the best information we have to date, what our assessment is as of the present is in fact what began spontaneously in Benghazi as a reaction to what had transpired some hours earlier in Cairo where, of course, as you know, there was a violent protest outside of our embassy–sparked by this hateful video,” Rice said on CBS’s Face the Nation.
The Clinton presidential campaign did not immediately respond to an inquiry from TheBlaze regarding this story.
Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said it's clear why the State Department resisted releasing the documents.
“These new Benghazi documents show again that Hillary Clinton was told ‘extremists’ – the Obama administration’s term for terrorists – were behind the Benghazi attack,” Fitton said. “Her curiously-timed meetings with Rice and the White House just before she personally lied to the Benghazi victims’ families again bring the Obama White House into the center of the continuing scandal.”
Clinton issued a statement on the attack at 10:08 p.m. on Sept. 11, 2012:
Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet. The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind.