The family of the 2-year-old boy who died after being dragged into a manufactured lake by an alligator at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort in Orlando has released a statement for the first time.
Matt and Melissa Graves, from Elkhorn, Nebraska, described their shock, grief and devastation following the horrific death of their son, Lane, earlier this week.
"Words cannot describe the shock and grief our family is experiencing over the loss of our son," the statement, obtained by ABC News, read. "We are devastated and ask for privacy during this extremely difficult time. To all of the local authorities and staff who worked tirelessly these past 24 hours, we express our deepest gratitude."
Lane was killed when the gator dragged him into the resort's Seven Seas Lagoon Tuesday night. The family was on the lake's shoreline because, earlier in the evening, they were watching an outdoor movie, Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said Wednesday.
The child's body was discovered Wednesday afternoon and was found "completely intact," according to the sheriff. At least five alligators were captured and officials believe there is a "good chance" one of them was the gator who grabbed Lane.
All of the beaches at the Disney location remained closed following the tragic event. The company is conducting a "thorough review" of all its processes and protocols.
Disney announced Thursday it will install alligator warning signs near waterways at all of its resorts as soon as possible. A sign posted at the time of the attack warned patrons not to swim, but said nothing about possible gators in the water.
Follow the author of this story on Twitter: