Try BlazeTV for Free
FOR RSS

Attacker runs down pedestrians with van in Barcelona, killing 13; dozens more wounded

A van purposefully ran people down in Barcelona, Spain, claiming multiple lives, and injuring many more. Police are treating the incident as a terrorist attack, and have the suspect in custody. (Image: Footage obtained by The Telegraph)

According to numerous reports, a van driver by an as-yet unidentified attacker ran down multiple civilians in Barcelona, Spain's famous Las Ramblas tourist area Thursday.  Authorities have confirmed 13 were killed in the attack, and dozens injured.. Police are treating this as a terrorist attack.

According to the BBC, police say the vehicle sped along the Las Ramblas Central Boulevard that typically contains heavy pedestrian traffic due to its market stalls, bars, and restaurants.

The BBC reported that according to witness Tom Markwell of New Orleans, he heard screams that sounded like they were "for a movie star." He said he then saw the van weaving to purposefully hit people.

"I saw the van. It had already been busted on the front. It was weaving left and right, trying to hit people as fast as possible. There were people lying on the ground," said Markwell.

Aamer Anwar, another witness, told Sky News that the Central Boulevard was "jam-packed" with tourists when the attack started:

"All of a sudden, I just sort of heard a crashing noise and the whole street just started to run, screaming. I saw a woman right next to me screaming for her kids. Police were very, very quickly there, police officers with guns, batons, everywhere. Then the whole street started getting pushed back. Police officers who got there just started screaming at people to move back, move back."

Footage from the scene of the attack has been appearing on the internet.

In one video obtained by The Telegraph, the white van used by the suspect is shown with its front end smashed in.

The BBC released video obtained by one person who fled the scene with many others by ducking into a super-market.

According to The Guardian, police have captured the suspect who drove the van, and is now in custody. Police have not yet revealed his identity.

Footage of the man being lead away by police is currently being circulated, however.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson issued a statement shortly after the attack.

“Terrorists around the world should know that the United States and its allies will find you and bring you to justice,” said Tillerson

Update: 2:42 est.

Police say the van used in the attack was rented by a man named Driss Oukabir. It is not yet confirmed if Oukabir was the driver.

Update: 2:05 est.

Spanish media reported that police have killed a suspect thought to be involved in the van attack in a shootout.

One last thing…
Watch TheBlaze live and on demand on any device, anywhere, anytime.
try premium
Exclusive video
All Videos
Watch BlazeTV on your favorite device, anytime, anywhere.
Try BlazeTV for Free
Sponsored content
Daily News Highlights

Get the news that matters most delivered directly to your inbox.