Here's what we know about him so far:
- Saipov is an immigrant from Uzbekistan who is in the U.S. on a green card.
- Saipov had apparently pledged allegiance to ISIS, based on notes and symbols found in the truck he used for the attack.
- Saipov is connected to a residence in Tampa, Florida, but he had been living in New Jersey since at least the summer, working as an Uber driver.
- A friend of Saipov’s, 37-year-old Kobijon Matkarov of Ohio, said he knew Saipov to be a “happy-go-lucky person who loved America.” Matkarov said the two met in Florida about five years ago.
- Saipov did not have a significant criminal background, with only several traffic violations in the past.
Saipov drove a pickup truck he rented from Home Depot just an hour before into a crowded bike path and crashed into a school bus. Eight people died in the attack, and more were injured.
He reportedly exited the vehicle and yelled “Allahu Akbar” and waved what authorities believe was an airsoft or B.B. gun before being shot twice by police and arrested.