Senator Tim Scott (R-S.C.) tanked a judicial appointment from President Donald Trump after a controversial report was published about his past with voter intimidation efforts.
“I am ready and willing to support strong candidates"
Scott's vote will doom the nomination of Thomas Farr, the subject of a Washington Post expose that detailed a Department of Justice memo linking him to voter intimidation.
“I am ready and willing to support strong candidates for our judicial vacancies that do not have lingering concerns about issues that could affect their decision-making process as a federal judge,” Scott said in a statement Thursday.
“This week," he continued, "a Department of Justice memo written under President George H.W. Bush was released that shed new light on Mr. Farr’s activities. This, in turn, created more concerns."
"Weighing these important factors," he concluded, "this afternoon I concluded that I could not support Mr. Farr’s nomination.”
Farr worked for the campaign of Jesse Helms in 1984 and represented the 1990 campaign as a lawyer. He was tied to "ballot security" activities that were considered as methods to intimidate voters.
The ballot security measures involved sending postcards to primarily African-American voters warning them that they could be prosecuted for voter fraud.
When questioned about the "ballot security" measures, Farr denied knowing about the postcards before they were sent out.
“I was not aware that the cards had been sent until they had been sent and the manager of the Helms Committee received a letter about the cards from the Voting Rights Section of the United States Department of Justice," Farr said in a written response. "The manager of the Helms Committee then called me for legal advice."
Here's the report from Fox News about the news: