Please verify

Watch LIVE

Heroic 5-year-old boy rescued his toddler sister, the family dog, and seven other relatives from a burning house


Heroes come in all shapes and sizes

Image Source: WSB-TV screenshot

A 5-year-old boy from Bartow County, Georgia, is being called a hero after rescuing his toddler sister and his dog from a burning house before going back in to alert the rest of his family.

Noah Woods managed to save his entire family of nine and escape with nothing but a minor burn on his hand after his family's house in Kingston caught on fire earlier this week, WSB-TV reported.

Bartow County Fire Department said the fire started in the children's room while the the family was sleeping and was the result of an issue with an electrical outlet.

Noah reportedly woke up when he saw flames beside his bed and immediately sprang into action. He told WSB-TV that he knew something wasn't right and that he needed to get his 2-year-old sister, Lily, to safety.

"I picked Lily up, got to the window with Lily, got the dog and got out," he said. "That's it."

After exiting through the window with his sister and dog in tow, Noah then went back into the burning house to alert his uncle and get the rest of his family outside.

"If it wasn't for Noah, I mean, we were all asleep, so we wouldn't have known what was going on," David Woods, Noah's grandfather, said. "We could've all lost our lives."

The Fire Department is calling Noah "our hero" after the boy showed unusual courage and alertness during the incident.

"We've seen children alert their families before," Fire Chief Dwayne Jamison told CNN. "But for a 5-year-old to be alert enough to do this ... that's pretty extraordinary."

The family suffered $75,000 in damage from the fire and is seeking help from the community because they had not updated their homeowner's insurance.

"By the grace of God, all nine of our loved ones were able to get out of our home," David Woods said in a GoFundMe post. "If it wasn't for Noah, we may not be here today."

"Unfortunately, our home was a total loss," Woods continued. "Due to a recent lapse in our home insurance, this has made a difficult situation a little worse."

"It is difficult for us to ask for help from our community, however, we know this feat is too great for us to achieve alone," he added.

As of midday Friday, over $17,000 had been donated.

Most recent
All Articles