A decorated Green Beret was charged with premeditated murder for allegedly killing a man in Afghanistan nearly 10 years ago, according to published reports. The high-profile case has caught the attention of President Donald Trump, who said Sunday that he plans to review it.
Why was he charged?
Army Maj. Mathew L. Golsteyn allegedly shot an Afghan man on Feb. 22, 2010, near Forward Operating base McQuery in Marjah, Afghanistan. Last week, Golsteyn reportedly signed a memo acknowledging the charge.
He reportedly admitted to killing the man seven years after it happened. The alleged Taliban member was suspected of planting a bomb that killed two Marines.
Golsteyn's admission came during a CIA polygraph test while he was applying for a position with the intelligence agency.
The Army Criminal Investigation Command began investigating him in late 2011. He received an official reprimand in April 2014, but no formal charges were filed due to a lack of physical evidence, according to reports.
Army officials revoked Golsteyn's Silver Star — the third-highest valor award — and took away his Special Forces tab, a patch awarded to soldiers who complete one of the Special Forces schools.
During a Fox News report called "How We Fight," Golsteyn also admitted to killing the Afghan man. During the program, Golsteyn said he was concerned that the man, if released, would target Afghans who were providing information to U.S. soldiers.
Asked if he killed him, Golsteyn said, "Yes."
The interview re-opened the cold case.
"I'm here right now because of that interview," Golsteyn told NBC News. "I did the interview because I wanted to do some advocacy, not talk about my case or what happened in Afghanistan."
What did Trump say?
President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter that he will be reviewing the case because Golsteyn could "face the death penalty from our own government after he admitted to killing a Terrorist bomb maker while overseas."
At the request of many, I will be reviewing the case of a "U.S. Military hero," Major Matt Golsteyn, who is charged with murder. He could face the death penalty from our own government after he admitted to killing a Terrorist bomb maker while overseas. @PeteHegseth @FoxNews
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 16, 2018
Although Golsteyn stands by his comments on the Fox News, he refutes the CID investigation that labeled it an assassination.
"They quoted me as saying that me and someone else with me took a detainee to his home and assassinated him. The problem is I never said that," Golsteyn told the NBC news. "It was a complete lie."
Golsteyn did not elaborate on details about the killing, but maintains he did nothing wrong.
"I have had commanders look me in the face and tell me I have done nothing wrong," Golsteyn told the news outlet.