The mayor of Boston, Massachusetts, may be called to testify under oath regarding an "enemies list" her office created now that a judge has ruled that it is a valid part of discovery for a criminal case allegedly involving one of her "enemies."
, the 38-year-old Democratic mayor of Boston, came under fire after a public records request revealed that her office had compiled a list of Wu's supposed "enemies" and sent it to Boston police. A
for the mayor confirmed that the list originated from the mayor's office but claimed that it was generated at the request of the Boston Police Department in response to alleged security threats.
"The reality is that we have a public safety plan for nearly all of our public events now because it is necessary and we are in close coordination with the Boston Police," Wu said in a
. "I’m very grateful to BPD for all that they do to keep everyone safe including my family and our city workers."
The list included the names of 15 individuals who had allegedly expressed harsh criticisms of the mayor, especially regarding COVID vaccine mandates for city workers. Among the 15 individuals listed is Patrick Mendoza, the 54-year-old owner of Monica’s Trattoria in the North End district of the city. Mendoza is also in some serious legal trouble after he was arrested and charged in connection with a July shooting outside Modern Pastry Shop, another North End establishment.
Mendoza had already been convicted of assaulting the same victim in 2019, and his probation sentence was set to expire the day before the shooting. He now faces one count each of assault to murder, assault with a dangerous weapon, and intimidating a witness as well as three weapons charges. He is currently being held without bail.
As Mendoza's attorney, Rosemary Scapicchio, attempts to prepare her defense, she has asked to discover more about Wu's "enemies list," which features Mendoza's name. "I want to know who generated the list, what it was intended for and why it was sent to the Boston Police Department," Scapicchio said. "I’m trying to get the information because it could be exculpatory to my client."
"I only know the list exists and my client’s name is on it," she
. "What was the purpose in generating the list and sending it?"
A judge agreed and ruled on Friday that all communications, including emails and text messages, from the mayor's office regarding the list must be turned over to Mendoza's defense team. The ruling also means that a high-ranking member of Wu's administration — perhaps even Wu herself — may be deposed under oath about the list.
The next hearing in Mendoza's case is scheduled for August 24, and representatives from Wu's office are expected to share at least some of the requested information at that time.
Wu is reportedly on a 10-day vacation out of state. Her office did not immediately respond to a request for comment from TheBlaze.
Like Blaze News? Bypass the censors, sign up for our newsletters, and get stories like this direct to your inbox.
Sign up here
Want to leave a tip?
We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.