© 2024 Blaze Media LLC. All rights reserved.
Graphic bodycam footage captures moment wounded Bristol officer blasted suspected cop killer
State of Connecticut Office of Inspector General of Connecticut

Graphic bodycam footage captures moment wounded Bristol officer blasted suspected cop killer

On October 12, in Bristol, Connecticut, police officers responding to a fake domestic violence call were met by a hail of bullets in what is now believed to have been an ambush. Two officers were killed in the attack. A third was wounded. Newly released bodycam footage shows that, amid screams and under fire, the injured officer coolly circled back to restore order with a well-placed shot.

The state inspector general's office released Officer Alec Iurato's bodycam footage on Saturday.

The other two officers who were slain in the ambush, 35-year-old Sergeant Dustin DeMonte and 34-year-old Officer Alex Hamzy, similarly wore bodycams, but that footage will not be disclosed at this time, as doing so would reportedly "constitute an unwarranted invasion" of their privacy.

According to the inspector general's report, DeMonte, Hamzy, and Iurato responded to 310 Redstone Hill Road. The 911 call that prompted their presence was allegedly made by Nicholas Brutcher, the 35-year-old suspected cop killer.

WNBC reported that sometime prior to the incident, Brutcher had been thrown out of an establishment for being disorderly and issued a summons by police. He allegedly returned home, armed himself with a semiautomatic rifle, and made the fraudulent 911 call.

When Bristol police arrived on the scene, they went to the side door of the house. There they spoke to Nathan Brutcher, the suspect's 32-year-old brother. When they ordered Nathan to show his hands and step outside, his brother, lurking behind, allegedly opened fire.

In the ensuing gunfight, Brutcher reportedly fired over 80 rounds at police, fatally striking DeMonte and Hamzy, and wounding Iurato in the leg. Nathan Brutcher was also injured.

The bodycam footage shared by the inspector general's office revealed what happened next from Iurato's perspective.

Iurato announced over his radio, "Shots fired, shots fired. Send everyone."

Ostensibly fighting to maintain his balance in light of his leg wound, Iurato then noted, "Officers shot."

In the video, a woman's cries can be heard, punctuated by additional gunshots.

The wounded officer limped around the front of the house and to cover behind a Bristol Police Department cruiser.

Iurato passed alongside one vehicle and beside another. Against the driver's door of a second cruiser parked in front, closer to the sound of the screams and shooting, he peered over the top of the vehicle.

Around 1:45 in the video, an agonized female voice cries out, "He's dead." A distant male voice responds with what may have been taunting.

Having spotted Brutcher, Iurato took aim. With a single shot, he made forever sure the suspect would never take another.

Illuminating the suspect's corpse with his flashlight, the wounded officer provided an update over radio: "One down. Suspect down."

Bristol Finalyoutu.be

Although multiple agencies, including the Connecticut State Police Central District Major Crime Squad and the New Britain Judicial District state's attorney's office, are investigating the officer-involved shooting, the inspector general's release nevertheless noted that "it is evident from the evidence collected so far that Officer Iurato's use of deadly force was justified."

One witness, Ken Przygocki, told Channel 3, "I probably heard 12 to 15 bangs, looked around about a minute later, [then heard] another rapid fire and then one single shot."

Przygocki spoke to the ultimate sacrifice made by the police killed in the incident: "Words can't explain it. These guys protect us. ... They know every day you got out there life or death."

Connecticut Attorney General William Tong tweeted: "Today is a tragic day for our state, for the Bristol community, and for the families of Sgt. Demonte and Officer Hamzy who died as heroes responding bravely to the most dangerous and volatile of emergency calls."

At the vigil held last week for DeMonte and Hamzy, Bristol Police Chief Brian Gould stated, "They were incredible, remarkable men. ... They showed up, they answered the call of service. They thought they were going somewhere to give help and their lives were needlessly taken and another seriously injured.”

DeMonte is survived by a wife and two young children. Hamzy was reportedly planning to celebrate his first wedding anniversary on October 14.

Officer Iurato survived his injury and was released from St. Francis Hospital on Thursday. Outside, he was greeted by applause from members of law enforcement.

Want to leave a tip?

We answer to you. Help keep our content free of advertisers and big tech censorship by leaving a tip today.
Want to join the conversation?
Already a subscriber?
Joseph MacKinnon

Joseph MacKinnon

Joseph MacKinnon is a staff writer for Blaze News.
@HeadlinesInGIFs →