White House press secretary Jen Psaki said that she had tested positive for COVID-19 and would thereby miss a scheduled trip to Europe with President Joe Biden.
“Today, in preparation for travel to Europe, I took a PCR test this morning. That test came back positive, which means I will be adhering to CDC guidance and no longer be traveling on the president’s trip to Europe,” Psaki said in a statement emailed to reporters Tuesday.
She added that she had been in contact with the president on Monday but that he tested negative for the virus on Tuesday.
“I had two socially distanced meetings with the president yesterday, and the president is not considered a close contact as defined by CDC guidance,” Psaki continued. “I am sharing the news of my positive test today out of an abundance of transparency.”
She said that she was experiencing mild symptoms and that she would work from home until she completed a five-day quarantine and tested negative for the virus.
The scheduled media briefing proceeded with deputy press secretary Chris Meagher taking her place. Meagher told reporters that the White House was conducting a contact tracing for Psaki's interactions.
Psaki had previously tested positive for the coronavirus in October, despite being fully vaccinated.
“A complete professional and great colleague. Thanks to @chrismeagher46 for jumping in today with hardly any notice. (Also sorry the podium is so low),” she tweeted later about her replacement.
Psaki is reportedly being pursued by MSNBC and CNN cable news channels to possibly become the "next Rachel Maddow." She has previously said she intends to leave the position at the White House in 2022. Maddow has said that she wants to scale back her responsibilities on her daily show on MSNBC.
Here's more about Psaki's positivity:
Jen Psaki tests positive for COVID www.youtube.com
- CNN anchor calls out CDC for 'misleading' COVID hospitalization ... ›
- Psaki calls Florida bill 'horrific' and 'bullying' — but dodges question ... ›
- Cornell University goes to 'alert level red' and shuts down its campus ... ›
- Fox News reporter sends Psaki into spin-mode when confronted ... ›
- Fox News reporter Peter Doocy presses Psaki on 500 million ... ›
- Jen Psaki responds to first busload of migrants arriving in DC: 'It's nice the state of Texas is helping them' - TheBlaze ›